Thursday, 22 July 2010

Arica Harbour - Terrain (WIP) Part1

For my terrain, I am using the Arica Harbour Deathmatch map, which allows me to represent all of the main features on a 8'x4' table. The basic shape can be seen on the photo below - the locations of buildings are represented by the squares of paper with a large "X" marked on them.

In total I will need 16 buildings, including 3 partically built building sites, and a couple of portacabins. I've chosen to make the buildings on a standard template of 6"x6", in order that they may be swopped around. One important feature of the game, is the ability to damage buildings, so my scratchbuilt attempts will need to represent this.
The areas where the high density polysterene has been cut away, will represent a variety of garages and steps - i'm not aiming to accurately represent every rock and shrub, but rather give a feel for the game. Likewise, when it comes to the different levels/slopes and hills, I simply don't have room to represent the great disparity in heights, but will try to produce something that still gives the impression of different levels.
Baseboards are 2 foot square, and made of 12mm MDF. The polysterene is built up in different thicknesses from 1/4 inch to 2 inches.